Constructing and implementing strategies for professional development, whether across schools or companies requires an approach to learning that is ongoing and reflective. Schools or companies wishing to develop strategies for professional development generally engage for services for an extended period. This varies from 3 months to several years. Most partnerships include a range of ways to develop a plan taking into account the needs, time allocation, experiences of the participants. In long-term partnerships, the focus naturally shifts over time dependent on the developing contexts.
These ways of working may include:
• Planning with small teams to create an initial plan and then meeting several times over a given period to reflect, develop and evaluate its effectiveness
• Collaborating with project teams on action-research, involving a series of visits and meetings
• Full day or a series of workshops with the entire group
• Developing the quality of team planning
• For schools, facilitating teachers directly in the classroom